KYOTO EXPERIMENT 2021 AUTUMN
Tianzhuo Chen: The Shepherd
- Chen Tianzhuo
- Kyoto City University of Arts Art Gallery @KCUA
- @KCUA 1, 2, Gallery B, C
- 2021.10.5 Tue.–2021.10.31 Sun.
- Planned by
- KYOTO EXPERIMENT, Kyoto City University of Arts Art Gallery @KCUA
- Produced by
- partner in crime
- Organized by
- Kyoto International Performing Arts Festival Executive Committee, Kyoto City University of Arts
Kyoto City University of Arts Art Gallery @KCUA
Please send your inquiry from the form.
- Tianzhuo Chen
- Born in 1985, Chen graduated with a degree in Graphic Design from Central Saint Martins and a master’s degree in Fine Art from Chelsea College of Art in London before returning to China in 2012. After a string of exhibitions in China, Chen’s first overseas exhibition took place at the Palais de Tokyo in Paris in 2015. Chen produces visual art as well as performance work. His objects, performances and video works use colorful, grotesque and kitsch imagery, with direct references to Asian spiritualism, LGBT iconographies, Butoh dance, voguing and club culture, touching upon themes from consumerism to transcendence and forging a connection between a collapse of moral attitudes and beliefs that surround us. Chen’s work interweaves precisely scripted stories, thoughts and political statements with ritualized happenings of self-empowerment related to contemporary club and counterculture.